Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A new plan

My end goal in the car industry is definitely to be a retail dealer but I may need to adjust my sights to help me get started.

I may have to become a wholesale dealer for 6 months while I test my theories and try to make a little money to pay for my bond and more expensive office location.

Wholesaling is very interesting to me. I have a CarMax close buy where they have auctions every two weeks. I have heard of people buying cars there and just driving them 2 miles to Manheim and selling them there for profit.

Beyond this flipping strategy I'm more then willing to put a little money into painting and having light body work done on a good low milage car. The idea is to buy a car with light body damage or just bad paint and spend $500 or so fixing it up and then resell the same car at the auction.

Target income should be $500 or so a car. I think that this is possible. With $10,000 I could buy 3-4 $2000 cars and still have enough capital to do repairs. Do this twice a month and you sell 8 cars for about $500 profit....= $4,000 a month. If I could do that for two months I could pay for my retail bond and the office space that I want. Better yet do that for 10 weeks and I could double my money. Of course it probably won't be that easy.

Here in Arizona the state requires retail dealers to cary a $100,000 bond. But if you are a wholesale dealer it's only a $25,000 bond. In addition there is some flexibility for the office location.

Once I get the retail license I can continue to wholesale and add in some retail for those cars that I get at a really good price. I like the idea of being a wholesaler because it's a clean transaction. I would be more then happy to make $300 on a wholesale transaction then $500 on a retail one. It's one day. I can schedule when I sell the car. I don't have to deal with dozens of test drives and I think that it's just nice to not have to deal with a lot of people. I do want the retail license though because it would be nice to sell to friends and family. I think that it would pay for itself every year.

What do you think?

Phil


3 comments:

  1. Your plan is quite attainable. At least you have a good sense of the reality surrounding car dealerships. A good businessman needs to have a course of action, a working knowledge of how to execute those plans, a back-up plan, and an awareness of all the codes regarding the establishment of a business in his locality, all on top of short-term and long-term goals. Good luck with your car dealership!


    Leisa Dreps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.

    used car dealers greenfield ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get any further with this? I've looked at all these same options and curious how it turned out for you.

    ReplyDelete